Friday, April 6, 2012

Baby UPDATE!

Well...I thought I would give a little baby update. I was going to wait until next week when I have my ultrasound and can post pics, but after this morning I thought I could just do two updates.

This morning: I woke up a little sad that it snowed because I wanted to rake our backyard. I rolled out of bed to go to the hospital for my NST (non-stress test), I have been having them twice a week for the past couple of weeks to monitor the babies. Its nothing invasive and normally takes about 30 minutes. Here is a video of the first time...
video
Now you know what it is. So I threw on some pajammas, a winter hat, scarf and rain boots to brave the weather and headed on my way. As the nurse was hooking up the monitors we had trouble finding Abigail's heartbeat...she was moving (so I wasn't worried) we just couldn't find her heartbeat. The nurse grabbed an ultrasound machine and we found out that Abigail finally is head down :) This is GREAT news because I wanted to try to avoid a C-section, I wouldn't get a choice if even one of the babies is breached. So yay for that!

I got all hooked up on the monitor and the nurse starts to ask me questions, like when did you eat last? Meds? etc. She asks my pain level and I said "uhh, I don't have any pain, but I am uncomfortable" she continues to ask me about pain, and I got a little confused. To my surprise, she shows me the screen and mentions that I am having some pretty good contractions. I started to laugh and said, "I think those are braxton hicks, cause I get really nauseous with those..and that's what it feels like". She looked at me a little funny and says, your doctor is here to deliver a baby this morning, I think he should come in here for a minute.

Enter my doctor and he is pretty calm and thinks all is well. I was put on official bed-rest until my next appointment (next week), and it was made clear that each day they stay in me is very important! If my "contractions" get worse or more intense then I need to come in. He left and as I sat there, I thought...what does he mean if they get more intense?! I asked the nurse, mentioning that at night it gets bad, I have to hold on to the counter or bend over to stay standing up, I woke up last night about every hour with nausea and discomfort. She once again gave me that funny look and went to get my doctor again to check my dilation and effacement. I am effaced to 50% and dilated to a finger.

If I stay on bed-rest I will make it to 34 weeks (my doc's goal), which is next week, and I will be lucky to make it to 36 weeks (my goal). As I got up to leave I asked the nurse what my contractions will look like when I am in real labor, she looks at me and back at the screen and replies, "uhh...like this." I couldn't stop laughing...so I am in 'labor' and I didn't even know it. I honestly thought I had a bad night because I ate too much for dinner. Luckily they let me come home to lay on the couch and I didn't have to take the drugs to calm the babies and contractions :) Lets just hope we can keep these little babes in my tummy for at least another week..if not TWO. I am in good spirits, just hanging out on the couch and still feeling like its unreal that we could have 2 little babies within the next couple weeks...is this really happening? I am so happy!!

21 comments:

  1. So very excited for you!!!! I will pray they will stay in a bit longer though! Your going to be an amazing momma. These babies are coming into so much love! Now listen to the doctor, as hard as it will be, and rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be in my prayers Shanna! Best wishes for a restful couple of weeks and a safe delivery of your precious babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness.. now THAT was an exciting "non stress" visit! So excited for you ... rest rest rest.. You are going to be amazing parents!
    Sending hugs and sunshine from CA,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy everything is going good! Praying the sweet little ones stay in for 2 more weeks! Hugs from IL : )!!
    Happy Crafting,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a visit. I say get a few good movies, books and some soothing music and take it easy.
    If you need anything you know someone will be there to help you right away.
    Big hugs and I can't wait to see the babies!!
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! I can't believe it's going to happen so soon and we can't wait to see what they look like! Take good care and no more raking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow so exciting ... praying for you for peace and that you make it to next week. I agree with Diana - get some movies you love, books, magazines and rest up as you'll need all the rest you can get before the bubba's come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be praying too. I am about 26 week s with twins as well. It's so hard to tell if things are just uncomfortable or if something is really going wrong.

    On a side note I'm the SU! demonstrator that mentioned to your Mom that I was having twins too at the Milwaukee Regional when won one of the Artisan awards.

    I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying that your little ones decide to hold off for a few more weeks.....get comfortable and drink lots of water...Can't wait to see pics of your beautiful babies but am willing to wait for quite awhile! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you in Wisconsin. What an exciting time for your family. Looking forward in the weeks(hopefully many weeks) to come of picture of your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy resting now, Shanna, because it will be in short supply before you know it! :-) Praying all will go well, and that those babies stay tucked in safely for at least two more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am praying for you. Since nothing has been posted I am thinking you have kept those little ones for the first week hopefully they will stay another week. Blessings on you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you all, Shanna! Love and hugs from Melbourne, Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you Shanna - I was on bed rest for the last week of my twin pregnancy - I got to 36 weeks to the day which is what our goal was - you can do it - stay strong and enjoy those babies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you to get some extra time to bake 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dearest Shanna,
    You have probably had your babies by now, but just want to tell you how excited I am for you!! I can't wait to read an update and see pictures of your little ones! Best wishes to you and the babies, and Jared, of course! Love and miss you tons!!
    Cymony

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too went in for a routine ultrasound and was told I was in labor, much to my surprise. I was on bed rest 1 day short of four weeks and only made it to 30 weeks before my water broke. My now 14-year old son in 5'11" and his twin sister is almost a foot shorter, but both doing fine. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keeping you in my thoughts Shanna, hopefully you will get to keep those sweet babies in your tummy for a little while longer. Big hugs to you cannot wait to see the little ones till then take good care of yourself and rest. Monica xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan ChristianMay 1, 2012 at 5:40 AM

    Updates needed, please!!!! So anxiously awaiting news of how you and the babies are doing right now. The bed is a perfect place to blog from.....hint, hint. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad to hear you have continuing 'baking time'. Enjoy your chick flicks, reading and all those off your feet things. It's tough to let others do for you. Will be glad to see the babies but not until God's time! Sherrie Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have the babies been born yet? It's been about a month since you last posted, so I am sure they are here by now :) Please post when you can and let us know!

    ReplyDelete